I was going to talk about something else in this entry, but I changed my mind…twice actually. At any rate, cello is going very cello-ish. I’m still practicing. I’m still trying to get it and I’m working on new music pieces along with shifting exercises…although shifting exercises have been going on for a while now.
I did get new strings and new rosin. I’m not going to change the strings. I’ve decided they cost too much to change so I’m going to leave them sitting pretty in the pack. Okay…I’ll change them one day, but not right now. I put the other pack that I have on (the pack like the pack that came with my cello) only about four months ago. I’ll hold off on changing strings until later this year—or early next year sounds good too.
I did look inside the pack and these strings look thicker than the ones I use currently. I am curious to see if there is any real difference in the sound they produce. I don’t think there is. I really don’t think strings make that big of a difference. But then again, what do I know? I’ve only used one type of cello strings so it’s not like I have anything to compare those with.
Anyway, these are my new strings and my new rosin. I bought the rosin based off reviews and the fact that it looked like an older company; older is definitely better…well…sometimes. I was thinking of buying the JADE rosin, but then I read that it gets kind of sticky. I thought sticky is probably bad. But I also read that it leaves less dust…less dust is good. But at the end of the day I decided on this one. If nothing else, it was made in the USA so at least I feel as if I’ve done my part in helping those who are lucky enough to be employed here stay needed employees…yeah, it’s only one thing of rosin…but every little bit helps; I hope. Plus the strings were made here too. I managed to get what I needed while shopping responsibly.